Thursday, August 16, 2007

List of Essentials

Things to bring back to school. I am really bad at only packing things I will need/actually use, so I am going to write everything down here and try to par it back a little bit.

Clothing:
2 pairs of jeans (they're the best ones, and the only ones I actually wear, so why bother bringing the others)
3 pairs of dress pants/khakis (will be needed for career fairs and interviews)
button-down shirts (see above, and add in lab presentations)
shirts that I will ACTUALLY wear (no more of this bs "but what if I want to wear it someday" crap)
shoes (blue sneakers, white sneakers, brown leather, a few heels, flip flops and that's it)

Electronics
laptop
speakers
external harddrive
wireless mouse
camera
phone & charger

Miscellaneous
desk lamp
clock radio
pens/pencils/highlighters (all just one pack of each)
textbooks I've already bought
desk chair

Basically, just trying to cut back on a bunch of things I always bring and just seem to never use. I can cut most out of my clothes and shoes, which weigh a lot, although there is a bunch of random junk I always bring, too. My strategy is to go through everything at least 3 times and keep cutting stuff out.

Reasons for this? Parents (Dad, really) always complain that I bring waaayyy too much stuff, and even though I definitely help with the moving in bit, there still is a lot for them (him) to lift and transport. Also, an even more important reason: this year's move-in comes complete with the transportation of little brother Mark, who is living in the same dorm that I was assigned to as a freshman. (Sooooo exciiiiiteeeddd!!!) We are renting a box truck (haha) that will fit all of our junk into one place.

Up to Boston on August 30th, hopefully get a bunch moved in that day, and finish up on the 31st. That's pretty damn early, considering classes start on the 4th of September... I remember not wanting to get there early because it's always so awkward when you don't know anyone - and it's in classes that you meet your friends, for the most part.

1 comments:

Meena said...

Whoa! I didn't know this blog existed!

Planning out packing sounds like a good idea -- maybe I should do that instead of throwing stuff in the car in garbage bags...

And re: grad school/ work, aaaaaaaaahhh! You should try applying anyway, since most grad. programs in the sciences tend to be funded through RA-ships anyway -- right?

And if you're in town that much before when classes start, maybe you can come up (down? left/ right?) to Olin some time that weekend in the middle!

Talk to you soon,
- your newest blog stalker.