Wednesday, September 12, 2007

New laptop!!

So, Vista is... well... really, really, really pretty. I had to fix a few things and it took me a while to figure out how to move files so it wasn't a ludicrously complicated action, but I overshot the "Vista learning curve," I think. Totally worth it. Wonderous interface. Just make sure you disable the "User Account Control" so it doesn't beep at you and make you "allow" control panel to open. Tarded, I know.
The hardware itself is damn cool, too. The keyboard is insanely quiet, mouse responsive, image quality amazing. Right-clicking is somewhat of a challenge... it thinks that I'm regular clicking still sometimes, I'm sure I just have to get used to it.
I <3 Google Gadgets.
Installing Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 by virtually mounting the drive and messing around with different serial numbers proved a quick, but intense, battle. I triumphed in the end (of course).
Outlook presented me with a problem. How do I move the emails in my old Outlook to my new Outlook? I Googled away and poked through the settings and Help Desk... until I tried to take advantage of Window's relatively simple, user-friendly style (in relation to Mac OS X, e.g.) and just dragged them from my Inbox pane into a flash drive folder. Ou la! All the info transferred with it, so the times and attachments were all still there.
Number One Victory of the Day: VPN client works. I get wireless!!

Essentially, really glad I did this... now I can bring my laptop without breaking my spine, in addition to all the little pros that I've mentioned above and more.
Still keeping my old one around, though, at least until I install the drivers for the television tuner. Monday Night Football, here I come!

0 comments: