Tuesday, January 26, 2010

3 months later...

Yeah, that day really did suck. I couldn't sleep for a good week afterwards, which of course fueled my insomnia with stress. But I did well on the midterm, did well in my classes, had a good Christmas - even though I didn't have time to see ANYONE at home, sigh - and even went skiing! Gasp!

I just signed up for a racquetball class Tuesday nights and I'm kind of excited. Yay Dad for getting me the stuff for Xmas! Yay for new things! Never done it before, but apparently it's really fun and a workout. All I ever knew was organized groups sports and now I really miss it. Going to the gym by yourself just isn't the same and my knees are killing me so soccer is out *sniffle*.

My birthday is coming up in a few months and along with it the impending potential renewal of my cell phone contract. I'm still on my family plan, which is pretty awesome because I don't pay anything, but I should probably be an adult and get my own. Apparently you can have plans with non-family members? Adam has a 20% off discount from MS so that would be super helpful. I went to check out the new smartphones, not expecting too much, but they were really pretty and.. better than mine. I'm not sure how much I'd use the data, like web and email etc., but it'll be a lot better than my phone now, whose touch screen is stuttery and doesn't have a qwerty keyboard. Dad'll probably like me getting off the plan, too.

Also, on a sad note: my beloved water boiler, that I've had for 6 years, is finally dead. RIP Braun 200W. I've looked for other ones and they are so expensive!! What the hell! They're at least $80, and going up to like $150, which is totally ridiculous. It boils water, for chrissakes. Although I guess since I really need one, they can jack up the price and make me pay more. Grumble. Maybe I'll switch over to my cappucino maker and just have it boil the water. Hmm...

I'm 35% of the way through "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and it is extremely boring. I don't know why everyone raves about it. It might get good later, but in my opinion, if you have wait for over 100 pages to get to the good part, it's not worth it at all. It's a mystery, too, which is not my cup of tea. Just placating Autumn. It's a C- right now. We'll see if it improves.

The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson had its moments. He used "..." WAY too much to show pauses in dialogue, and he asked way too many rhetorical questions. Why was she doing this? What could she do to help the world? What if what she was doing wasn't helping the world? What if she was hurting the world? What could she do about that? ARGH! Get on with it! Also, the action scenes were just confusing.
But on the other hand, inventive concepts and pretty good villains and surprise! endings. I'll give it a B.

I've also read the first book in the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. More modern, more mystery, but the writing was concise and funny and there weren't a billion characters to try and follow. Good! B+

0 comments: