Thursday, September 11, 2008

School stuff, for multiple people

It was only at 6:23 this morning that I remembered that on Thursdays I have to be in at work at 8 instead of 9. I had my alarm set for 7:15, which is actually the time that I needed to be outside waiting for the bus. At least I remembered, and there was no fiasco like last week (roommate's girlfriend sneaking into the bathroom at 7:10 to stay in there for 20 minutes, bus being late, car accident on the way) so I got into work bright-eyed and cheery at 8:03. On the way here, though, I remembered that I forgot my calculator (even though its batteries are dead) for my quiz/test later today. I'm resolved to steal one of the two Dark Ages calculators from the "dead instruments" drawer. I checked them both, and it took me 5 tries to get an answer of 25 when I divided 260 by 10.4. It kept giving me 2.5, or 0.009284793, or 40. Obviously not right. These things are 6x4", solar-powered, addition-subtraction-multiplication-division only beasts. I hope it goes well.
I also forgot my "note-taking" notebook. I have my "practice problems" one with me. This whole once-a-week class thing is not helping me with my memory of what I need to bring.

And I couldn't write an entry without discussing an unfortunate but also predictable event, one which has its own pros and cons. Jared took his GMAT yesterday and even though he only said he did poorly and gave no one a number, he said he fell well below the range he was getting on his practice tests and to me that translates as sub-600. He said he's going to take it again, and that that was "normal", which I doubt. He's been studying on and off for this for literally months. I can't remember when he hasn't been. It's at least been since May. He kept putting it off one week after another, and that is just way too long to wait. To give him credit, when he was studying on the weekend, he got in some good long hours per day. But he was nowhere near the dedication level needed to get above 700 or better.
Pros: A slight told-you-so feeling (even though that's mean), since we kept telling him to study more and he kept watching his wine tasting videos and movies all day. A chance that he'll finally realize that he needs to put more effort into it. Some humbling action.
Cons: More of Jared studying, and even more of Jared not-studying. More of one-sided conversations about specific problems and test-taking strategies for prolonged periods. More of "oh, can't do anything this weekend, have to study", and then seeing him just watch a movie in his room instead of hanging out with us.
So it's a mixed bag. I do feel bad for him because I know that a lot of people have difficulty preparing for an exam like this, but you have to choose if this really is for you or not. If you did that poorly after attempting to study for SO long, there's obviously something going on here that you should pay attention to. Adam is a little meaner about it than I am, but then again he is a show-off and despises non-motivationed people. It also has something to do with the fact that it took Jared a month and continual pressure to get the wall up, did nothing for finding a couch (he did help move it, thank you!), only kicked in for the apartment search at the very end, and hasn't showed any interest in locating a tv stand. Non-motivated, you say? Everyone's different, and it can be frustrating, but Adam can be frustrating, too. He gets way too picky, which also hinders the process of apartment/couch/tv stand selection. *shrug

I've met up with a friend from BU down here twice, hope to keep in touch with her more often. Yael lives on the Upper East Side, which is very far away from me but easily reached by subway. We've had lunch and I went to her place for homemade lasagna and challah bread, where I met her other friend Kristen, a NYC public middle school science teacher. It was weird because she's our age, and I don't ever remember a teacher that young that I've ever had. Maybe it was just skewed because back when you're 10, everyone older than 15 looks like an adult.
I sat next to a girl called Laura in class, and we talked during the break a little bit. Like everyone else, she's older than me, but only by a year. She went to UPENN undergrad and works in a lab, too. I hope she sits near me again so there isnt any more awkwardity, but then again meeting a bunch of other people is always good - plus she seemed to know some girls behind us and might sit with them instead. Oh well. Class is for class, not socializing, especially since I probably won't stay on the same track as most of the people. We'll see!

Wow. Long post.

0 comments: