Friday, September 26, 2008

Utter randomosity.

It definitely sounded like hail this morning. It was only raining by the time I had to go outside to get to work, but the wind was not going to let me go without a fight. Especially on First Ave., where it's mostly exposed to the water. My rain jacket wouldn't zipper, a fact I discovered after I got outside, so while trying to juggle my hat brim, my zipper, the rest of my rain coat, my tea mug AND my bag, it was just kind of getting funny.

Despite the weather, I was warm enough on the bus and my pants weren't THAT wet.

I feel strangely invigorated this morning. Maybe the change in weather... it's been just kind of sunny, partly cloudy since about April. Don't get me wrong, that's really nice, but I do like having seasons and even though rain is a pain in the butt, it reminds me that I do have to pay attention to the world outside of my head.

Yesterday was pretty insane. Maybe that's why I feel so much better today. I was on the bus going to work at 7:15 (an hour earlier than usual) and actually had a lot to do in the morning. Lots of measuring and data analysis and making of graphs. Then I had a nice little conversation with the boss about the other day's fiasco (see below...) and felt much better about it. **Note: always better to get it off your chest than let it fester and annoy you forever.**

I had a doctor's appointment at 2:15 and was going to try to fit it into my lunch break since I've had a LOT of them recently and I don't like pissing off my boss and would rather like to keep my relative job hours flexibility. Timing-wise, it worked out extremely well. I left at 1:58 and got back at 2:57. The only thing is, the sandwich that Adam got the past night for that day's lunch... had... only lettuce in it. Which I found out power-walking down the street, trying not to get blown over by the wind into the many open manholes and passing the 10,000 cops all lined up for the UN summit meeting. I thought that maybe the meat and other goodies were hidden behind the arugala (yeech) and spinach (gack... well, it was cold, ok!), but oh no. And once I had taken a bite, there was no turning back. I couldn't exactly spit it onto a policeman's shoe. It was disgusting. I threw it away in the garbage can of the waiting room but could taste it all day. And what's worse, I didn't have time to eat anything else and didn't have any food on me, so the only time I could get food was later at 4:50!!! It was not good.

The doctor's appointment was really good, they definitely make it faster and better if you work in an affiliated building (remember, this is in the hospital, since I get awesome health care for working for NYUMC). It was for a mole on my back that had kind of... like... grown. They said it was nothing, but they could take it off if I wanted them to. I said sure, why not. Then I asked how they would do it, and the guy kind of laughed and was like, you don't want to know. I said um, yes, I do, I just asked you. Derrr. But he was sort of right, lol. "I'm going to inject you with some painkillers, then snip it off with really sharp scissors and cauterize it." Cauterize it?! So that's what that weird looking machine with the temperature gauge on the wall was. Interesting...
It didn't hurt at all (except the injection bit), but then it started to wear off at around 5:30 and I started feeling it. It's fine now, though.
So, I basically underwent minor surgery during my lunch break! Cool!

Then ran to class, sat through a full 2.5hr lecture (the first full one we've had, because the other teachers couldn't stand to talk for that long), got home and made some amazing pasta. Here it is:

Ingredients (in no particular amounts, just to taste/how hungry you are)
linguine
shrimp, peeled and deveined
sweet onion
garlic
olive oil
butter
capers
salt
parmesan cheese

Boil the water for the linguine
While the water is heating up, chop 1-2 slices of onion and 1 garlic clove
Put linguine into water
Heat up small frying pan on medium, putting equal amounts of olive oil and butter into it
Stir fry the onion, garlic and capers until browned
Add shrimp and whatever else you feel like (green peppers, sun-dried tomatoes?)
Drain linguine, plate
Add whole frying pan mix, including and especially the liquid portion
Add salt and parmesan cheese to taste, toss

DELICIOUS
I'm still testing this out, I've figured out the timing and experimented the capers this time. Sun-dried tomatoes are next.

Jeez, just thinking about this makes me super hungry. I could eat this every day. MMM.

0 comments: